Saturday, September 11, 2010

Orangina

Up until this point, we've neglected to inform the world about one of the more cherished and absurd aspects of our life in France: our car, affectionately christened "Orangina."


First and foremost, a big thank you goes to my uncle Lionel and my parents for giving us this car. I'll try to ignore my suspicion that the gift is little more than a prank that they're playing on us to get a few laughs.

The specs: Orangina is a 1972 Citroën 2CV (“deux chevaux”, or "dedeuche"), with a 2-cylinder engine churning out a massive 28 horsepower. Yes, that's right - it is basically a lawnmower engine and 4 wheels under an orange umbrella. In fact the engine technology ("flat-twin"), groundbreaking in 1948, was the basis for significant innovations in the world of grass-cutting.

It is also worth noting that Orangina is a convertible. A cabrio is a must have in north-central France, and Orangina doesn't disappoint. Her vinyl roof rolls back like a sardine can, and we've been enjoying the rarefied French air blowing through our hair. While we're on the topic of wind, you might notice in the photos that Orangina also features flap-up windows - just enough space to stick my arm out to receive the many high-fives offered as I drive through town.



Interestingly, all of the older French people have made the exact same proclamation in talking to me about the deux-chevaux: "Succès garanti!" (guaranteed success!). Indeed, when driving this car I am confident in my ability to make friends and influence people. And also carry large loads of French baguettes.


We've gotten a few questions about the name "Orangina." Orangina is of course a delicious orange-flavored French soda, and we chose the name upon learning the color of the car. But since acquiring it I've come to realize that I have the impression that I'm driving around in a soda can - another great reason for the moniker.

Surprisingly, our only technical difficulty so far was my fault rather than the car's. After getting the car and driving it around for a few days, we were running low on gas so we took her to the nearest station for a fill-up. Making an assumption based on the age and fumes emitted by the car, I filled her up with diesel. Of course, she sputtered out as soon as we pulled out of the gas station, and it took us 3 or 4 painful-sounding restarts to get her back to our place, less than 1 km away.

Realizing that I had put in the wrong fuel, the next morning I decided to bring it back to the Carrefour gas station to drain out the diesel and refill it with the proper gas. In order to get it there, Liz got in the front seat to steer while I pushed her through the streets of Avon (of course wearing the mandatory bright-orange safety vest) as on-lookers sped past at 5 km / hr, their laughter audible through the closed car windows. Keep an eye out for my upcoming appearance on France's Funniest Home Videos...

10 comments:

  1. OMG this is the best post ever! The mental picture I have of this ordeal is priceless. Thanks for posting pics of Orangina. She's just as I pictured her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I get ready to pull out every piece of orange clothing in my closet in prep for Matt's first game against Lehigh, I am wishing for my own "orangina". I think our tailgate would be easily spotted, and we would be the envy of all the other tailgaters!

    Bring her home when done...we may have a few Princeton buyers around here.

    Your blogs are so much fun to read!! Having "the time of your life" as we would say.
    Love to you both, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to ride the orange wave! Do you SERIOUSLY get high fives from people when you drive through? I would high five you for sure if I were an innocent pedestrian walking by. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the best story ever..

    Sounds like you guys are having a blast-keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you guys are enjoying our posts! Come experience Orangina in person :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm impressed - this is usually the type of story that is complete BS and about a "friend of a friend in France." BUT, since we know the people involved I know it to be true.
    I must admit though, I would prob have suggested the name Fanta L'Orange instead of Orangina. If memory serves correctly, Orangina is a much paler color than that of your new vehicle. I hope my opinion is welcome.
    Let the adventures continue.
    Bon Chance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "la dodoche est aussi capricieuse que coquine when we fail to give her the attention she needs and deserves". This is a quote from an "old timer" in Tryon who had some experience dealing with 2 cv's.. I'm reading this post and laughing -out load- at the image of Liz steering and Karim pushing the lawnmower through the streets of FONT-astique-Blau.. I wonder how many high-fives you are getting or better yet how many eye-browse you're having? I love it.. Just keep it coming

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahah, that is incredible. that car is dope!! trade me??

    ReplyDelete
  9. That car is even older than I am, but I remember the later versions. At one point I think every French person my age had one. A few even showed up in Boston back in the day! Drive with pride!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is a win for the entire internet

    E1G2

    ReplyDelete